Ansvar Insurance is committed to the concepts contained in Australian privacy legislation – the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Privacy Principles (currently known as the National Privacy Principles, and from 12 March 2014 to be known as the Australian Privacy Principles as per the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012 (Cth)).
Brokers who use information provided by Ansvar Insurance only receive the information that you permit to be released and they are subject to rigid conditions on its use and protection from misuse.
What personal and other information is collected?
Ansvar Insurance only collects information that may be necessary for the functions and activities that we undertake. Personal information about visitors to our sites or our customers and clients, is collected only when knowingly and voluntarily submitted. For example, we may need to collect such information to provide you with further services or to answer or forward any requests or enquiries. It is our intention that this statement will protect your personal information from being dealt with in any way that is inconsistent with applicable privacy laws in Australia.
As a business to business and business to individual provider of products and services, personal information collected and maintained by Ansvar Insurance is generally comprised of the following information:
- first and last name;
- phone number;
- email address;
- city, suburb and State;
- your role, including whether you are a Chief Executive Officer, Chief financial or operations officer, board member, business owner, finance, accounts or administrative manager, advisor or volunteer;
Other information collected includes:
- company or organisation name;
- whether you or your organisation is a current client or insurance broker/advisor;
- the number of staff and volunteers of the organisation;
- what property has been lost or damaged;
- when the damage occurred;
- policy number if available;
- whether the organisation can be described as a faith-based organisation; relates to care, including aged care, child care, disability, or retirement; education; heritage; or is a community group (including not-for-profit);
- the means by which you have heard of Ansvar Insurance, including whether you are a current client, through an insurance broker or advisor, colleague recommendation, media or event, online or other.
Where it is practicable to do so, we collect the information directly from the individual or organisation or take reasonable steps to verify information when received from third parties. We collect and will continue to collect personal information about individual clients and client organisations as a result of, and in connection with, our ongoing relationship and interaction with them. The information we collect is provided by or through our internet portals by the individuals or organisations themselves, or from sources including emails.
Methods of collection of your information include but are not limited to:
- Subscription by individuals or organisations to keep up-to-date with Ansvar Insurance information;
- Online enquiry forms;
- Online notification of insurance claims;
- Information obtained from client applications;
- Information obtained from claims forms;
- Reviewing publicly available sources;
- Mail returns;
- Telephone identification and verification;
- Business staff of your organisation.
If you do not wish to provide us with your personal information, we may not be able to supply our products or services to you.
We only collect personal information by lawful and fair means. This means we are never unreasonably intrusive. You may access your personal information by contacting any of our offices. If you have any specific questions about our handling of your personal information, please contact:
The Privacy Officer
GPO Box 1655
Melbourne VIC 3001
or Email: email@example.com
Use and Disclosure of Information
Your personal and other information is collected for the purposes of providing the data to related bodies corporate and industry in order to provide the required products and services, and to approved private enterprises for direct marketing services in relation to their associated products and services. At times we rely on third party suppliers (agents, legal advisers, other insurance companies, assessors, investigators, loss adjusters, market research and mailing houses) to perform specialised activities for us. Your personal information may be provided to them so that they can carry out the required activities.
They are bound by confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements and are prohibited from using the information for any other purposes. These service providers are aware of their obligations under the Privacy Act and the General Insurance Code of Practice.
Generally, we use the information we collect about you for the purpose of assisting us to provide you with our general insurance products and services and related products and services, and to manage our relationship with you. Other than information an individual has marked Not for Publication (NFP), information may be used and disclosed for the purposes of:
- providing you with the products and services;
- providing information about:
- products or services engaged by you from or through Ansvar Insurance;
- related products or services of Ansvar Insurance;
- related products or services of third parties;
- direct marketing organisations (only as expressly approved by Ansvar Insurance);
- distribution of:
- newsletters, updates, commentary and opinion;
- other Ansvar Insurance information;
- material that may be of interest to you;
- licensing to:
- Ansvar Insurance-approved companies and organisations to communicate with you via direct mail and personal representation, in relation to, for example:
- government or business research projects;
- approved mailing and distribution businesses;
- other businesses with Ansvar Insurance-approved product and service offerings relevant to you;
- Ansvar Insurance or related third parties (as necessary) for administration purposes. Note that information marked NFP may be used by Ansvar Insurance and related bodies for these administrative purposes.
You hereby consent to Ansvar Insurance providing a license to use your personal information:
- to related bodies corporate; and
- Ansvar Insurance-approved companies, for the purposes set out in this Policy.
Ansvar Insurance does not sell or trade personal information. We will not otherwise use or disclose your personal information unless the use or disclosure is authorised under the Australian Privacy Principles. Some examples of where use or disclosure of personal information is authorised under the Australian Privacy Principles are:
- Where the use or disclosure of information is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order;
- use or disclosure is necessary to prevent a threat to life, health or safety;
- use or disclosure is necessary to investigate suspected unlawful activity, to prevent or detect a criminal offence or seriously improper conduct;
- you have consented to the use or disclosure of the information; or
- you would reasonably expect Ansvar Insurance to use or disclose the information for a secondary purpose related to the primary purpose.
In accordance with privacy legislation, we are permitted to provide personal information about you without your consent to companies related to Ansvar Insurance, for the same kind of purposes as listed above.
You may withdraw your consent and opt out at any time by making a request (by email) to us not to receive direct marketing communications from Ansvar Insurance or Ansvar Insurance-approved companies.
We restrict the use of an individual’s details to only that information that he or she has approved for publishing or use, and to only those organisations and individuals that we feel the individual would reasonably approve. Third parties to which we provide personal information will only use it for the purposes for which it is collected or otherwise as permitted by law.
We are permitted to provide personal information about you with your consent to:
- commercial Ansvar Insurance-approved companies that have genuine and relevant product or service information to disseminate to you;
- organisations involved in distribution or administration for and on behalf of Ansvar Insurance or related bodies corporate; and
- as otherwise permitted or required by law.
Completion of the ‘Ask an Expert’, ‘Notify Us of a Claim’, ‘Contact Us’ and ‘Stay Informed’ Website forms, other enquiry forms that may be available from time to time, applications, emails and telephone communications enables us to add you to our mailing list in order for you to receive information on relevant products, services, newsletters and other updates of interest. However, if you wish to remove your details from the list of names held by our databases or the databases of relevant third parties, you can contact us at the address specified above under ‘Data Collection’ to ensure that your details are removed from the relevant database. Removal from direct mailing lists may result in clients not receiving all the information relevant.
We are committed to ensuring that to the extent we are able, personal information collected, used and disclosed is accurate, complete and up-to-date. To do this, we invest a lot of time, money and human resources to maximise the collection, maintenance and dissemination processes for our data. Our verification processes provide a high degree of assurance as to the legitimacy of the information we collect.
As the protection of personal information from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure is also of paramount importance to us, we strive to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of personal information submitted to our Website. Ansvar Insurance is committed to keeping secure the data you provide us. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure, however we will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information you may transmit to us. Once we do receive your transmission, we will also make our best efforts to ensure its security on our systems.
Our employees and the contractors who provide services related to our information systems are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by us. Our staff have signed Confidential Information and Intellectual Property Agreements as part of their employment contracts with Ansvar Insurance. These agreements cover disclosure, secrecy, reproduction of information and requirements on termination of employment. However, we will not be held responsible for events arising from unauthorised access to your personal information.
Access to and Correction of Information
We will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep secure any information which we hold about you, and to keep this information accurate and up to date. You may access your personal information that we hold by telephoning, faxing or emailing us and asking for a copy to be sent, subject to the required proof of identity being provided. To assist us with personal information quality, please contact us if any of the details you have provided change. Further, if, at any time, you discover that information held about you is incorrect, incomplete or up-to-date, you may contact us to have the information corrected, and we will investigate and amend our records accordingly No fees or charges apply to any request to add, change or delete directory information.
Ansvar Insurance will not adopt, use or disclose an identifier number that has been assigned by an organisation to an individual to uniquely identify that individual for the purposes of that organisation’s operations.
Wherever it is lawful and practicable, individuals have the option of not identifying themselves when entering transactions.
Ansvar Insurance may collect personal information about an individual. Personal information is information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion. This includes type of information referred to above.
Ansvar Insurance may collect health information from you in relevant circumstances. Ansvar may also enter into commercial arrangements intended to benefit members of certain professional, trade, care or industry associations or organisations. Ansvar may collect sensitive information from you about your membership of such organisations.
Otherwise, Ansvar does not collect sensitive information about an individual. Sensitive information is information that enables Ansvar to identify a person’s ethnic or racial origins, political opinions, membership of a political association, philosophical beliefs, membership of a trade union, sexual preferences or practices or criminal record.
Transborder Data Flows and Storage
Links to other sites
We provide links to websites outside of our Website, as well as to third party sites. These linked sites are not under our control, and we cannot accept responsibility for the conduct of companies linked to our Website. Before disclosing your personal information on any other website, we advise you to examine the terms and conditions of using that website and its privacy statement.
Problems, Questions or Complaints
Further Privacy Information
For more information about privacy issues in Australia and protecting your privacy, visit the Australian Federal Information Commissioner's website.