What Does Contents Insurance Cover?

December 8, 2022

Many people believe that their home insurance will cover the contents of their house in the event of it being lost for whatever reason. However, this is not always the case. In fact, most home policies have limitations on the types and amounts of coverage for the contents of your home. That’s why it’s important to have a clear understanding of what coverage is available under a contents insurance policy.

Here’s a detailed guide to help you choose the right coverage for your needs.


What is covered under contents insurance?

The term “contents” refers to all of the personal belongings in your home that are not permanently attached to the structure. This includes items such as furniture, clothing, electronics, appliances, and more. Most contents insurance policies will cover these items in the event of certain types of losses, such as fire, theft, or vandalism.

However, there are some types of losses that are not covered under most contents insurance policies – these include losses due to floods, earthquakes, or other natural disasters. For this reason, it’s important to understand what coverages is available in your area and to choose a policy that provides the coverage you need.

In terms of replacing your contents, you will have the choice to either replace the item or you can choose to accept a cash settlement to the value that it would reasonably cost to replace the item yourself.


What incidents does contents insurance cover you for?

Fire Damage – Whether it’s a kitchen fire that damages your appliances and furniture or a wildfire that destroys your home altogether, contents insurance can help cover the cost of repairing or replacing your damaged belongings.

Theft – If your home is broken into and your belongings are stolen, contents insurance can help reimburse you for the cost of replacing them. It can also help if your belongings are stolen while you’re away from home, such as if your laptop is stolen from your hotel room while you’re on vacation.

Water Damage – This can include damage from burst pipes, overflowing toilets, or leaks in the roof. Water damage can be especially costly to repair, so it’s important to have coverage in case something goes wrong.


Enjoy peace of mind with house and contents insurance

Get peace of mind that your home and its contents are protected, by requesting a quote for with Ansvar Personal Insurance. For further information before getting started, please contact us and we’ll be happy to assist.

Back to All News