What Does Landlord Insurance Cover?

If you’re a landlord, you might be wondering if you need to get landlord building insurance, or rental property insurance as it’s sometimes called. The answer is yes! Landlord insurance is an important way to protect your investment and safeguard your rental income.

In the points below, we’ll cover everything you need to know about landlord insurance – what it is, what it covers, and why it’s so important.


What is landlord building insurance?

Landlord insurance is a type of property insurance that protects landlords from financial loss in the event that their rental property is damaged or destroyed. It also covers liability claims arising from injuries that occur on the property. Landlord insurance can help cover the cost of repairs, replacement rentals, and legal fees.

Most landlord insurance policies include two types of coverage:

  • Property Insurance: This protects against damage to the physical structure of your rental property, as well as any detached structures on the property (like a garage or shed). Coverage typically includes protection from fires, windstorms, hail, vandalism, and theft.
  • Liability Insurance: This protects you from being held financially responsible if a tenant is injured on your property or if they allege that you have caused them some other type of harm (like Invasion of Privacy or Discriminatory Practices).

Some landlords choose to purchase additional coverage for things like loss of rent (in the event that your property becomes uninhabitable due to an insured event) or water backup/sewer backup (which can become very expensive very quickly if left unchecked).

Ultimately, the amount and type of coverage you’ll need will depend on factors like the location and value of your rental property, as well as the laws in your state. It’s important to work with an experienced insurance agent to make sure you’re getting the right coverage for your needs.


What does rental property insurance cover?

Most landlord building insurance policies include coverage for the following:

  • Fire damage
  • Water damage (from burst pipes, leaks, etc.)
  • Wind damage (from storms, hurricanes, etc.)
  • Liability arising from injuries that occur on the property
  • Vandalism
  • Theft
  • Smoke damage
  • Some policies also offer optional coverage for things like lost rent and business interruption


Why is landlord insurance important?

As a landlord, you are responsible for maintaining your rental property and ensuring that it is safe for your tenants. If something goes wrong and someone is injured on the property, you could be held liable – this is where landlord insurance can save you lots of money and stress. By having adequate coverage, you can protect yourself financially in the event that something goes wrong.


Get landlord insurance today

Insurance is essential for peace of mind. Whether it’s landlord insurance, renters insurance, car insurance or even caravan and trailer insurance – being covered for life’s mishaps allows you to rest assured. If you don’t currently have landlord insurance, or if you feel that your current policy isn’t providing sufficient coverage, speak to a qualified and experienced Ansvar broker today.


What Does Contents Insurance Cover?

Many people believe that their home insurance will cover the contents of their house in the event of it being lost for whatever reason. However, this is not always the case. In fact, most home policies have limitations on the types and amounts of coverage for the contents of your home. That’s why it’s important to have a clear understanding of what coverage is available under a contents insurance policy.

Here’s a detailed guide to help you choose the right coverage for your needs.


What is covered under contents insurance?

The term “contents” refers to all of the personal belongings in your home that are not permanently attached to the structure. This includes items such as furniture, clothing, electronics, appliances, and more. Most contents insurance policies will cover these items in the event of certain types of losses, such as fire, theft, or vandalism.

However, there are some types of losses that are not covered under most contents insurance policies – these include losses due to floods, earthquakes, or other natural disasters. For this reason, it’s important to understand what coverages is available in your area and to choose a policy that provides the coverage you need.

In terms of replacing your contents, you will have the choice to either replace the item or you can choose to accept a cash settlement to the value that it would reasonably cost to replace the item yourself.


What incidents does contents insurance cover you for?

Fire Damage – Whether it’s a kitchen fire that damages your appliances and furniture or a wildfire that destroys your home altogether, contents insurance can help cover the cost of repairing or replacing your damaged belongings.

Theft – If your home is broken into and your belongings are stolen, contents insurance can help reimburse you for the cost of replacing them. It can also help if your belongings are stolen while you’re away from home, such as if your laptop is stolen from your hotel room while you’re on vacation.

Water Damage – This can include damage from burst pipes, overflowing toilets, or leaks in the roof. Water damage can be especially costly to repair, so it’s important to have coverage in case something goes wrong.


Enjoy peace of mind with house and contents insurance

Get peace of mind that your home and its contents are protected, by requesting a quote for with Ansvar Personal Insurance. For further information before getting started, please contact us and we’ll be happy to assist.


What Is Underinsurance? What Happens if Your Business Property Is Underinsured?

You’ve probably heard of the term “underinsurance” before, but what does it actually mean? In short, underinsurance is when a business does not have enough insurance coverage to protect its assets in the event of a claim.

This can happen for a variety of reasons, but the most common cause of underinsurance is simply not knowing how much coverage your business needs. Many businesses choose their insurance limits based on what they can afford, rather than on a thorough analysis of their potential risks. As a result, they often find themselves underinsured when they need to make a claim.

While it may seem like a good idea to save money by skimping on your insurance coverage, the reality is that being underinsured can end up costing you a lot more in the long run. If your business is sued or needs to make a large insurance claim, you may be responsible for paying any damages that exceed your policy limits – and this could leave your business facing serious financial trouble (or even bankruptcy).

Let’s say, for example, your business is sued for $500,000 but your insurance policy only covers up to $250,000. You would be responsible for paying the remaining $250,000 out of pocket.


How to avoid the trap of being underinsured in Australia

To avoid being underinsured, it’s important to work with an experienced insurance broker who can help you assess your risks and choose the right coverage for your needs. Make sure you review your policy limits on a regular basis and increase them as your business grows. And remember, it’s always better to be safe than sorry – it’s not worth risking everything you’ve worked so hard to build just to save a few dollars on premiums.


Speak to Ansvar

Ansvar is a leading specialist provider of insurance and risk management solutions for the Care Services, Community Services (Not For Profits), Learning and Education Services, Faith Communities, Arts, Culture and Heritage and Commercial Property Owner sectors. We can help you enjoy peace of mind that your organisation is fully protected with adequate insurance and tailored risk solutions that have been designed specifically for your needs.

We’re here to help – for general enquiries, call 1300 650 540 today.


What Insurance Will I Need for Fundraising Events?

Enjoy peace of mind that you’re covered for whatever the day of your fundraiser throws at you, with this rundown of insurance for fundraising events in Australia. Planning a fundraising event can be a daunting task, but with careful planning and execution, it can be a successful and rewarding experience.

A key component of event planning is securing the appropriate insurance to protect your organisation, attendees, volunteers, and staff. Keep reading for a breakdown of what insurance policies you need to take out in order to have adequate coverage for your fundraising event.


Public Liability Insurance

Public liability insurance for fundraising events covers your organisation for claims made by members of the public who have been injured or had their property damaged at your event. It’s important to note that most venues will require you to have public liability insurance before they will allow you to hold your event on their premises.


Volunteer Insurance

If your event is being run by volunteers, it’s essential to make sure they are covered by insurance in case they are injured while carrying out their duties. Volunteer insurance typically provides cover for personal injuries as well as legal expenses.


Staff Insurance

Similar to volunteer insurance, if you have paid staff members working at your event, it’s important to make sure they’re fully covered by insurance in case they are injured while carrying out their duties. Again, staff insurance typically provides cover for personal injuries as well as legal expenses.


Speak to Ansvar

Ansvar is a leading specialist provider of insurance and risk management solutions for the Care Services, Community Services (Not For Profits), Learning and Education Services, Faith Communities, Arts, Culture and Heritage and Commercial Property Owner sectors. We can help with customised insurance and risk solutions designed specifically for your needs.

We’re here to help – for general enquiries, call 1300 650 540 today.


Does Public Liability Insurance Cover Volunteers?

If you’re a volunteer in Australia (or an organisation that works with volunteers), it’s important to know the extent to which volunteers may be covered by public liability insurance. This type of insurance can protect volunteers and non-profit organisations in a variety of circumstances, should anything unfortunate occur in the process of carrying out their duties as a volunteer.

In this article, we’ll explore how organisations can protect their volunteers with insurance coverage in Australia, and how volunteers (or the organisations they belong to) can make a claim for compensation if something goes wrong.

There are a number of risks associated with volunteering, such as being injured while working, or becoming ill as a result of exposure to hazardous materials, for instance. Public liability insurance can provide financial protection in the event that these things may happen, so that volunteers are able to make a claim for compensation.

Of course, it’s important to note that public liability insurance does not cover every risk associated with volunteering. For example, it may not cover you if you are injured while participating in a dangerous activity such as rock climbing or bungee jumping. However, it can provide peace of mind knowing that you are covered in the event of an accident or illness, when volunteering.


Some quick things to note:

  • An organisation doesn’t have to be incorporated to involve volunteers, but it must have the appropriate insurances.
  • The insurance coverage will typically dictate what age restrictions there are on volunteers (i.e. no one under the age of 16, for example).
  • Volunteers are not covered by Worker’s Compensation legislation, which is why it’s so important for organisations to cover themselves (and their volunteers) with Volunteer Personal Accident Insurance.

The two types of insurance that organisations should take out to protect their volunteers

  1. Public Liability Insurance protects organisations up to a stated amount if a third party sues the organisation for personal injury (including death), or damage to property as a result of an occurrence in connection with the organisation.
  2. Volunteer Personal Accident Insurance is like Worker’s Compensation for volunteers. It can provide cover for people who become sick or injured whilst providing volunteering services for an organisation.  It may cover a portion of a person’s salary if they cannot attend their usual paid work as a result of an injury while volunteering or more broadly provides  financial compensation in the event that a volunteer unfortunately has an accident or becomes ill.


Ansvar provides volunteers with reliable Personal Accident Insurance Australia-wide

Ansvar’s Personal Accident Insurance cover is designed to provide compensation to volunteers who provide services on behalf of the Insured if they are injured whilst providing those services.

Unlike employees, volunteers are not covered under the Insured’s Workers Compensation Insurance Policy. Therefore, it’s vital that the Insured takes out this cover to protect the volunteers in the event that they are injured whilst performing their volunteer duties. The Volunteers Personal Accident cover is a defined event policy, so there is no requirement for the Insured to be negligent in order to claim.

It provides an upfront financial benefit in the event that one of the defined events of the policy occurs, and it ensures the Insured organisation provides protection to one of its most important assets – its volunteer workforce.


Need to arrange Public Liability or Personal Accident Insurance? Get in touch

Ansvar has been serving the Australian community for over half a century, with tailored insurance products that protect organisations, employees and volunteers for peace of mind. Our experienced underwriting team will assess your circumstances on an independent basis and work closely alongside you to develop tailored coverage for your volunteer force.

Get in touch to arrange a consultation with the Ansvar team today. We also provide customised insurance products for organisations in the Care Services, Community Services, Learning and Education Services, and Arts, Culture and Heritage sectors as well.


Am I Able to Get Insurance if my Property is Heritage-Listed?

If you’re the proud owner of a heritage-listed commercial property in Australia, then you’re probably eager to take out adequate insurance. Similarly, if your business is renting a heritage-listed commercial property, you’re likely to be interested in getting coverage for the contents of the building.

But how does insurance work for historic buildings that are rich in cultural heritage? And how do you find out if a building or place is State heritage-listed in the first place?

The Australian Federal Government’s Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment looks after these matters. You can search the DAWE’s Australian Heritage Database online to first confirm that your property is listed as a heritage building.


What risks should you be insuring your heritage-listed property against?

In addition to theft and property damage, there are numerous other risks that come with owning or renting a heritage-listed building, including business interruption, equipment breakdown, loss of licence, legal expenses, group travel incidents and professional indemnity. There’s also trustee and management liability, employer liability, hirer liability and public liability.

Therefore, the most important cultural heritage property and contents insurance packages for you to consider are:

  • General Public & Product Liability Insurance: This protects you in the event of a personal injury or property damage claims from a third party.
  • Volunteers Personal Accident Insurance: In the case of Ansvar, this cover complements our General Public & Product Liability Insurance, and compensates volunteers who suffer an injury while providing services on your organisation’s behalf.
  • Heritage Buildings Insurance – Heritage Special Risks Insurance Policy: This policy is specially designed to protect your historic property (includes property damage, loss of revenue following an insured event, loss of money, burglary, extra cost of reinstatement and replacement of glass).


Speak to Ansvar to arrange a tailored heritage-listed property and contents insurance package today

Ansvar is an ethical insurer with more than 60 years of industry expertise as one of Australia’s leading insurance and risk solutions specialists in the care, community, education, faith and heritage sectors.

We provide specialist insurance and risk solutions that are specifically designed to protect heritage-listed properties and historic buildings. Our dedicated risk team will work closely alongside you to identify and action the risk improvements that are required to help prevent potential future losses from occurring.

We believe that preserving such treasured heritage and historic buildings is crucial for future generations to experience and appreciate the architectural artistry of our past. To speak with one of our specialists, don’t hesitate to get in touch.


What is Community Insurance?

Community groups work hard to benefit the public in various ways, and as such they are an essential component to any well-balanced society. However, it’s important to make sure that the people working within your community group to make a real difference are as safe and protected from risks as possible.

Does a community club need insurance? Yes. In order to provide a safe, healthy and risk-free environment for your volunteers, it’s important for you to ensure that the people involved in your organisation are sufficiently covered by insurance for the activities they undertake.

With adequate community group insurance, you can cover your organisation and its volunteers for things like public liability, personal accident, financial loss to committee members and volunteers as the result of an injury, and more.


What insurance does a community group need?

Insurance packages available to community groups may include:

  • Public Liability Insurance– this covers your Community Group or organisation against claims from third parties for injury or property damage as the result of negligent acts by your employees and/or volunteers.
  • Personal Accident Insurance – this supports volunteers with benefits should they experience an injury, disability or death while undertaking duties for a community organisation.
  • Directors and Officers Liability Insurance – this insures your organisations committee members and officers for legal liability in the event that they commit a wrongful act during operations for the community group.


Ansvar provides community group insurance that’s tailored to your organisation’s requirements

With more than 60 years protecting and supporting our local communities,  , it’s always been our mission to support the care, community, faith, education and heritage sectors through comprehensive risk and insurance products and services.

We understand the unique risks that community services, community sports clubs and not-for-profit organisations face, which is why Ansvar wants to ensure you’re able to continue fulfilling your purpose without risk.

Ansvar provides the following insurance packages to provide your community organisation and its volunteers with peace of mind:

  • Community Insurance Business Pack
  • Industrial Special Risk Insurance
  • Management Liability Insurance
  • General Public & Products Liability Insurance


Speak to us

In addition to our insurance products, Ansvar also has a number of useful tools and valuable resources for helping your community group manage the risks that are unique to this sector. To learn more, please don’t hesitate to speak to us for more information today.


Why do caregivers need liability insurance?

There are few professions as selfless (and necessary) as care work. As a qualified carer, you are helping people gain access to the support they need, and empowering many to reclaim their independence and enjoy an improved quality of lifestyle. However, the aged care sector is not without its risks, which is why it’s crucial for care workers to have adequate coverage for whatever scenario might present itself in your line of work.

The Australian Government’s Home Care Package has thankfully put aged care services within reach of many more people aged 65 and over than what was previously possible, and this service can be provided in the comfort of their own homes. However, this has repercussions for caregivers, should a patient make a claim against you for an incident that takes place in their home.

This is just one example of how risk management needs to evolve as the care sector evolves, in order to ensure care workers are adequately protected against liability should something unexpected happens while working.

Regardless of whether you’re a self-employed carer or an employee of an organisation, you need to protect yourself against the risks of working in care.


Why do caregivers need liability insurance?

The nature of an aged care worker’s job often involves making decisions on behalf of those they are caring for. This means that if something goes wrong for whatever reason, the worker can be held liable.

For example, a care worker accidentally gives a patient a stronger dose of medication than what their prescription dictates. The patient needs emergency medical treatment, resulting in the carer being sued for negligence, malpractice or professional misconduct.

If you work with the elderly in any capacity, it’s important that you protect yourself against potential Public Liability claims and similar risks.  This includes everyone from individual aged care contractors, right through to healthcare organisation owners, managers, board members and so on. Other potential risks within the aged sector include:

  • Lifting, supporting and transporting patients
  • Moving and handling beds, mattresses, trolleys, wheelchairs and similar equipment
  • Occupational violence
  • Work-related stress
  • Bullying and harassment

At Ansvar, our aged care insurance packages include (but are not limited to):

  • Retirement Village Insurance
  • Care Facility Insurance
  • Business Liability Insurance
  • Commercial Property Insurance
  • Professional Indemnity Insurance
  • Employment Disputes Insurance
  • Health & Safety Solutions


What insurance is suitable for aged care workers?

May include:

  • General Public and Product Liability
  • Personal Accident Insurance
  • Sexual Abuse Cover


Ansvar provides insurance for aged care workers

Do you need comprehensive  liability insurance for your caregivers? fAt Ansvar, our team of insurance and risk specialists we’ll work closely alongside you to create a tailored  solutions to protect your aged care workers.

Our in-depth knowledge of the care sector has been gained over many years as a reliable insurance provider for Aged CareChild Care FacilitiesNursing HomesAllied Health Care and Disability Care services. If you would like further information about we can help, please contact us on 1300 650 540.


What is School Insurance?

Kids will be kids – even when they’re at school. And in a place where hundreds of children spend more than 30 hours a week, it’s inevitable that there will be accidents and mishaps from time to time, which is why it’s crucial for schools to have the right insurance coverage for when the unexpected happens.

School insurance coverage is what protects students in the event that they suffer an accident or injury during their studies on campus. An appropriate school insurance policy will cover students of that school 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in the following circumstances:

  • While the student is engaging in school activities or school-related extra-curricular activities such as work experience, vocational training or school excursions
  • While the student is participating in organised school sporting activities
  • Travel to and from the school, or school-related activities, such as organised school sporting events


Does your school have adequate insurance in the event that a child is injured?

Schools are a volatile environment where risks are constantly evolving, and no two schools face the same exact set of risks at any given time. As such, school liability insurance coverage should be tailored to each individual school. At Ansvar, we take the time to assess your school on an individual basis, so that we can create a personalised school insurance coverage policy that caters for your institution’s specific circumstances.

Common areas we provide school liability insurance coverage for include:

  • General Public & Product Liability Insurance – This protects the insured against personal injury or property damage claims from a third party, usually as a result of poorly maintained premises, provision of group activities, community events, the selling or donating of products, food handling and other factors.
  • Volunteers Personal Accident Insurance (complements our General Public & Product Liability Insurance Policy) – This cover provides compensation to volunteers who get injured in the act of providing services on behalf of your organisation.
  • Property Insurance: Commercial Premises – Cover against any accidental damage that occurs on the insured property.
  • Business Interruption Insurance – Ansvar will cover you for any lost income in the event that you cannot commence or resume standard operations due to damages or other factors.
  • Crime Cover – This protects you against loss of money due to burglary and theft.
  • Glass Breakage
  • Breakdown of Mechanical & Electronic Equipment

General Property Insurance


Ansvar provides comprehensive school liability insurance coverage

Ansvar has provided independent schools with tailored risk management and insurance solutions in Australia for more than half a century. Rather than simply arranging protection for the unexpected, Ansvar’s insurance and risk specialists  work closely alongside schooling institutions to carefully develop solutions that cater for the specific needs of your school, its students and its faculty.

The same goes for our ongoing risk management support for businesses in care, community, faith and heritage sectors.


Speak to Ansvar

In addition to our insurance products, we provide schools with a variety of helpful resources for managing the risks that are unique to the education sector. To discuss our school liability insurance coverage, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.


What Insurance Does a Community Group Need?

Community groups come in all shapes and sizes, but one thing they all have in common is the need for insurance. Whether your group is a small community club or a large non-profit organisation, there are specific types of insurance your community group will need in order to protect yourself from potential risks. This could include compensation for personal injury, property damage, or even defamation. It’s important to have adequate liability cover, as the costs of a successful lawsuit can be very high.


General Public & Product Liability Insurance for Community Groups

GPL, as it’s commonly known, is vital for any community group. This type of insurance covers your organisation in the event that someone is injured or their property is damaged as a result of your activities. Without community insurance, your group could be liable for expensive medical and legal bills.


Volunteers Personal Accident Insurance

VPA is another important policy for community groups that rely heavily on volunteers. This type of insurance covers volunteers for accidents that occur while they are carrying out their duties. It can also provide financial support if a volunteer is unable to work due to illness or injury.


Property Insurance – Commercial Premises

If your community group has premises that are used for meetings, events, storage or otherwise, it’s important to take out adequate insurance for these community title properties. This policy will insure these premises against damage from fire, floods, storms, and vandalism.


Business Interruption Insurance

Community groups can be disrupted by many things, including natural disasters, power outages, and even the death of a key member of staff. Business interruption insurance can help your group to recover from these types of events by providing financial support.


Speak to Ansvar about your community insurance needs today

As you can see, there are many different types of insurance that community groups need to consider. Not only that, but every community group is different, and as such you might find that a tailored combination of the insurance policies listed above best suits your individual needs.

At Ansvar, we adopt a personalised approach to providing our clients with the right insurance cover to cater for their needs. Our experienced brokers will work closely alongside you to ensure you take out comprehensive community insurance that protects you, your employees/volunteers, your property and assets.

With over 50 years’ experience providing specialist insurance, investment management and broking and advisory services to the community, faith, heritage, education and care sectors – enjoy peace of mind with Ansvar. Speak to a broker today.